Subject: Patron Privacy Interest Group
The LITA Patron Privacy Technologies Interest Group promotes the design and implementation of library software and hardware that protects the privacy of library users and maximizes user ability to make informed decisions about the use of personally identifiable information by the library and its vendors.
Under this remit, activities of the Interest Group includes, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Publishing recommendations on data security practices for library software.
- Publishing tutorials on tools for libraries to use to check that library software is handling patron information responsibly.
- Organizing efforts to test commercially available software that handle patron information.
- Providing a conduit for responsible disclosure of defects in software that could lead to exposure of library patron information.
- Providing sample publicity materials for libraries to use with their patrons in explaining the library’s privacy practices.
This discussion list is for the discussion of all aspect of patron privacy as affected by the technologies that libraries use.